7 Ways to Deal with Rude People

If my memory serves me right, I've only been confronted twice in my life.  If there were any bad things said about  me, those might have been said behind my back.  As far as I know, I don't have much enemies.  I'm a peace-loving creature, and if you know me personally you would know that I'm a person who doesn't want to start any fights and would rather go for diplomacy.  But probably once I've reached the limit, just watch out for profanity coming out from my mouth and for any flying objects coming your way :).  That's just the way I am.  So as much as possible I don't want blood to come out.  I make it a point to extend my patience.

Now back to rude people.  They are all around us, and we encounter them in our lives.  So before knowing how to deal with rude people, let's try to investigate why there are rude people.  Here are the reasons I have thought of:

1. They are angry in their personal world and they just have to vent it out to others.  Like they said, misery loves company.  

2. Rude people are at times insecure, and want to feel powerful by dominating other people.  It's their ego booster.

3. They mistook rudeness for being confident, thinking that they can just say whatever they think and feel.  

4. People who are rude, gets angry out of impulse and assumptions, over generalizations and the likes.  They're paranoid like that.  

So now we know why there are rude people, how do we deal with them.

1. Be calm.  If they're confronting you for some issues, stay settled and don't be afraid.  They want you to be afraid so they feel they have power over you, which is not true.

2. Listen to what they're saying and try to understand what their problem is.  Correct them, if they have some wrong assumptions about you.  If they don't believe you, it's their problem, and walk out with dignity.

3. Let them know that they are being rude.  Sometimes they don't notice that because they are too overwhelmed and preoccupied with their own feelings.  

4. If you realized that you are at fault, then say sorry.  If you're not at fault, then let them realized that.  And try to figure out how you can help them.  

5.  Don't concentrate on emotions, but concentrate on solutions.  If you appear to be in control with your feelings, you would seem to look more mature, which is always good.

6.  At times you need to confront them because of their behavior.  Be sure to say things constructively and be as objective as possible.  You could say, when you say this, I feel bad.  And if they don't care, then you could say that they should not expect people to respect them too.

7.  If they're starting to get physical with you, try to warn them, and say that you don't want to hurt them.  But if they remained aggressive and they're already pulling your hair and what not, do your karate tricks to control her and show her who's boss! :)  

We all get to be rude sometimes, it just means that we haven't really master our emotions and we have trouble expressing ourselves without feeling anger and other bad emotions.  Saying things in a positive way, takes a lot of maturity and work.  It's a skill.  Some people could say what they wanted to say through humor, and its always the best way to go. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment