Hachi Who?


In one of our usual morning talk, I said good morning, he said good morning back. Another normal morning conversation.  And then he said, 

Hey I watched Hachiko, last night, and I said, Hachi who? He then explained that it's a story of a dog who waited for his dead master.  I said ok.  Sad.  And then he said the unthinkable, he cried on that movie.  My brain exploded, and my eyes, mouth wide open.  I was in shock, thinking, my boyfriend hasn't admitted crying for me, but now he's saying that he cried over a dog? I say that's bullcrap! Let's start World War 3!!! Bring it on! 

Kidding aside, I got really intrigued by this movie.  Knowing that Richard Gere is in it, I got interested to watch it more. 

So I saw it already, thanks to free livestreaming! 

The plot was the same as I've expected.  The dog meets man, man loves dog, dog loves man, man dies, dog waits, (we cried) dog died (we cried more), the end.  But the beauty I guess was the relationship of the dog and his master.  It's already a cliche that dog is a man's bestfriend but this movie sheds a different light on that.  It highlights those playful moments, those pleasant understanding, amusing plays, and strong bond.  It makes you think that dogs really are intelligent creatures and they understand and empathize with you.  And it's really very fascinating to see such emotions and behavior elicit by anything that is not human.  To see all these happening to a cute furry hairball is indeed interesting.

This movie was actually taken from a real-life story about a dog in Japan named Hachiko which is an Akita anu breed.  He was taken cared by Professor Eisabruno Ueno a teacher under the Department of Agriculture at the Imperial University. When he died, Hachiko continued waiting for him at Shibuya Station for 9years and 10months, until his death.


A bronze statue was made in honor of the Loyal Dog.

It makes you love your pets more.  So after watching it, I hugged my dog and started calling her Hachi. Of course my dog doesn't respond to me.  She's smart like that. ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment