How to get rid of Stretchmarks!


I couldn't really remember when I had my stretchmarks.  I probably had them since highschool or college.  I really have no recollection.  What I do know is I got really conscious about mine when my friends would invite me to go to the beach or pool, or in any activities that would have me stripped down.  In my attempt to rid my stretchmarks, I then did my research.  It really pays to know that you are not alone.  I was shocked that girls as young as 12years old can have it.  They said that 8 out of 10 ladies have stretchmarks and just recently I just learned that Shakira has one.  

Seriously!? 

Yes. Just knowing that makes me feel really good.  As they say, misery loves company.  

Now there are different causes of stretchmarks.  There's hormones, abrupt gain and lost of weight, and there's pregnancy.  I guess mine was due to those reasons except for being prego.  

Stretchmarks are atually torn dermis, which is found in the middle layer of our skin.  As far as I know, it is difficult to remove, but definitely not impossible.

Here are the following things that I know could help you minimize or get rid of them.

1. Exfoliate.  Rubbing the affected area in a circular motion stimulates your skin to produce more skin, thereby replacing the ruined layer with a newer one.  Although results of which will not be immediate at least you are doing something to minimize it. You could also exfoliate by using sea salt, baking soda and oil (olive, sunflower, baby oil).  But best result is through microdermabrasion.  However you have to shell out more money for that.

2. Apply anything that will help rejuvinate skin cells.  Many people say that Vitamin E, cocoa butter, citric acid work well.  This is especially true for the initial stage of stretchmark when it is still colored pink, red or brown.  But when it has gone to a later stage which is white or silvery, these are less effective already because these just only affect the top layer and not the middle layer of skin which was really the torn out portion.  So it is better to use glycolic acid but then using 30% of it is already considered hazardous.  Only 10% below is safe but do not have any effect on the skin.  

3. Hide it.  You can do that instantly by a concealer that matches your skin or you could tan your skin so it would hide the scars a bit.  

You can do a combination of these methods.  It's a trial and error thing so you would have to experiment which of these things work better for you.   Also since it could involve a lot of steps, there is a great tendency that you would feel lazy to continue it.  Consistency is the key here.  Doing it on a regular basis would increase your chances for success.

Good luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment